July 2016 Announcements
posted on Friday, July 22, 2016
Happy Summer TABA members, friends and supporters! We have several upcoming events. Please join us!
TABA News, Events and Reminders
- Need to spice up your current workout regimen? Come learn Muay Thai with the TABA Board THIS Saturday, July 23, 2016, from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. at OC Muay Thai in Seal Beach. See flyer here. RSVP to Tiffany Chukiat at email@example.com ASAP.
- Friend of TABA and attorney with Inner City Law Center, Ami Nguyen, will be spearheading a series of Tenant's Rights Community Information Sessions in and for the Thai community in August. She will discuss issues related to illegal evictions, housing discrimination, and housing repairs. If you are interested in helping in this effort, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Save the Date! TABA's Summer Social will take place Wednesday, August 31, 2016. Stay tuned for the event details!
- TABA and APAWLA will offer an Anti-Trafficking/T- Visa MCLE Training on Monday, September 12, 2016 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. The training will be lead by Kim Luu-Ng, Esq., founder and managing partner of the KLN Firm. More details to come!
- TABA will host a Small Business Community Information Session on Sunday, October 2, 2016, consisting of expert panelists who will discuss various legal issues and offer advice to business owners. The event details will follow shortly. If you are interested in participating, please contact email@example.com.
Thank you to those who have renewed their Membership! It's never too late; sign up today! The TABA 2016 Membership Form is available under the Membership Tab.
TABA in Action
- TABA is co-sponsoring the APABA MCLE:
Leadership and Fair Decision-Making: Implicit Biases that Undermine Good Intentions
Thursday, July 28, 2016
6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Ronald F. Deaton Civic Auditorium, 100 W. First Street, Los Angeles, CA 90012.
The cost is $15 for members, $25 for non-members. Attendees will receive 1.5 hours of MCLE (including 1.0 hour of elimination of bias) credit. The event features UCLA's Vice Chancellor of Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and Professor of Law, Jerry Kang. In his presentation, Prof. Kang will survey the science of implicit biases with emphasis on real-world consequences within law firms and legal departments, as well as potential institutional responses to implicit bias. Food and drinks, with time to meet and greet Prof. Kang, will be provided immediately following the presentation. We hope to see you there! Please register here.
- TABA is a proud co-host of the 2016 Samakkee Summit!
The Samakkee Summit brings together organizations and individuals from across the United States to discuss issues, share solutions and celebrate community development among Thais and Thai Americans. Please consider supporting the Thai Samakkee Summit! Registration, sponsorship, and donation information is available at samakkee.org. You may also support the Summit through TABA by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Summit will be held August 26-28, 2016 in Los Angeles. The theme for this year's Summit is "Inspiring Thai American Leadership." The Summit features an impressive array of speakers from across the country on topics including Thai/Thai American leadership in professional organizations, arts and entertainment, academia, religion, and engaging with the political process. We will also have a training session on developing leadership. Our keynote speakers include Thai Ambassador to the U.S. Pisan Manawapat, as well as California State Treasurer and 2018 California Gubernatorial Candidate John Chiang.
More information can be found at samakkee.org. Please direct any inquiries to email@example.com.
- Save the Date! The Asian Pacific American Women Lawyer Association Presents:
Asian Pacific American Women Partners Reception
Friday, September 16, 2016
5:30 PM Registration
6:00 PM - 8:00PM Reception
Southwestern Law School
This event will honor the approximately 100 APA Women Partners in LA Law Firms. There will be food, a cash bar, and a champagne toast. It will bring attention to the great strides that APA women have made in LA law firms and celebrate their hard work and positions of power in the legal profession! For more information or sponsorship opportunity, please contact Audra Mori at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The AAAJ-LA Annual Dinner will be held Thursday, October 6, 2016. If you're interested in attending, come join TABA representatives! TABA will subsidize 25% of the ticket price for up to five (5) attendees! First come, first served. Please email email@example.com