posted on Tuesday, September 17, 2013
Here are TABA's September updates with upcoming events in October.
1. TABA 2013-2014 Board Elections:TABA will be holding elections soon for the 2013-2014 TABA Board! Available positions include general board member as well as one of the four officer positions (President-Elect, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary). The TABA Board meets on the first Wednesday of every month -- conference call is available for those who are not able to attend in person. Board members are expected to attend board meetings and TABA events.
If you are interested in running for a board position, please email email@example.com a statement explaining your interest as well as a short blurb with your bio (about a paragraph long) by 5:00 p.m. on September 23, 2013.
2. APAWLA Annual Luau (9.28.13, Back Home in Lahaina, 519 E. Carson St., Carson, CA, 6:00 p.m.):The Asian Pacific American Women Lawyers Alliance will have its Annual Luau at 6:00 p.m. on September 28, 2013 at Back Home in Lahaina, located at 519 E. Carson St., Carson, California. Join APAWLA for some delicious Hawaiian food and some great Hawaiian music at Back Home in Lahaina, a restaurant in the city of Carson. Prices are: $75 early bird (ends 9/21); $80 at the door; $35 for students; $25 for children 7-12 years old; and free for children 6 years old or younger. To RSVP, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. APABA Law Student Mixer (10.3.13, Chynna Dim Sum Lounge):TABA is proud to sponsor APABA's 7th Annual Law Student Welcome Mixer on October 3, 2013 at Chynna Dim Sum Lounge. Come meet new students and attorneys and reconnect with old friends. Appetizers will be served. RSVP to email@example.com by September 30, 2013.
4. Advancing Justice Dinner (10.10.13):TABA is putting together a table (or half a table) for the upcoming Advancing Justice-LA 30th Anniversary Dinner on Thursday, October 10, 2013 at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel & Suites in downtown LA. Tickets are $125 each. Since Advancing Justice-LA is a 501(c)(3) organization, contributions over $65 are tax-deductible to the fullest extent allowed by law. Please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org this week if you would like to attend the dinner and sit with TABA. More details here: http://advancingjustice-la.org/dinner
5. Eviction Defense and Domestic Violence Pro Bono Training (10.23.13):TABA is proud to celebrate National Pro Bono Week (October 20-26, 2013) by co-sponsoring two CLE trainings in coordination with the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles (LAFLA). LAFLA is offering two concurrent training sessions. Attorneys will be expected to handle one pro bono case within one year of the training. LAFLA will provide the training, materials, facility, up to 2 hours of CLE, screened cases and malpractice coverage for attorney volunteers.
Attorneys working on eviction defense will be assisting LAFLA’s Eviction Defense Center (EDC) & Housing Unit. Attorneys working on domestic violence and VAWA will assist the Center for Pacific Asian Family (CPAF) DV clients through LAFLA’s Asian and Pacific Islander (API) Community Outreach Unit. CPAF assists DV clients with Emergency shelter, Transitional shelter, a 24 Hour Hotline and family crisis intervention services.
For more information about LAFLA, please visit: http://www.lafla.org/
For more information about CPAF, please visit: http://www.nurturingchange.org/
6. TABA on Thai TV:NAT TV's Lawyer Talk program is looking for attorneys to appear to talk about discrete areas of law. The television appearance basically consists of one and a half hour live one-on-one interviews in which attorneys talk about themselves, how they got to to where they are, and discuss the area of law in which they practice. NAT TV is aired nationally and in Canada. This is great way for you (and TABA!) to gain exposure and publicize your services. It is not necessary to speak Thai because the show host will assist with interpretation for the audience.
Here are some other events in the Thai Community in LA: