- Addressing AAPI Hate
- Contact the Thai Consulate
ADDRESSING AAPI HATE
The following resources and services are available to those affected by anti-AAPI hate and to those who wish to help combat anti-AAPI sentiment.
This is provided for informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. TABA can not confirm the accuracy or completeness of the information provided by the external links referenced below.
HISTORY AND STATISTICS
- A Rising Tide of Hate and Violence against Asian Americans in New York During COVID-19: Impact, Causes, Solutions by AABANY https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.aabany.org/resource/resmgr/press_releases/2021/A_Rising_Tide_of_Hate_and_Vi.pdf
- Stop AAPI Hate National Report 3/19/20 - 2/28/21 https://secureservercdn.net/126.96.36.199/a1w.90d.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/210312-Stop-AAPI-Hate-National-Report-.pdf
- The Return of “Yellow Peril”: Anti-AAPI Rhetoric and Policies leading up to the 2020 Election by Stop AAPI Hate, https://secureservercdn.net/188.8.131.52/a1w.90d.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Stop_AAPI_Hate_2020-Candidates-and-Anti-Asian-Rhetoric_201021.pdf
- Fact Sheet: Anti-Asian Prejudice 2020 by the Center for the Study of Hate & Extremism, California State University, https://www.csusb.edu/sites/default/files/FACT%20SHEET-%20Anti-Asian%20Hate%202020%203.2.21.pdf.
- Bystander Intervention Training. Free virtual trainings for bystander intervention, conflict de-escalation, and also how to respond if you are experiencing anti-asian harassment, https://www.ihollaback.org/bystanderintervention/.
- Concise History of AAPI History by the Japanese American Citizens League,
- When Hate Hits You: An Asian Pacific American Hate Crime Response Guide, https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5e8e0d3e848b7a506128dddf/t/5e90af170e8c31732d12c1aa/1586540311851/When-Hate-Hits-You.pdf.
- A Troubling Legacy: Anti-Asian Sentiment in America, https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5e8e0d3e848b7a506128dddf/t/5e90af2ac7f19b0136dc680e/1586540331304/A-Troubling-Legacy.pdf.
- An Unnoticed Struggle: A Concise History of Asian American Civil Rights Issues, https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5e8e0d3e848b7a506128dddf/t/5e90af3a8f85d4778bca9088/1586540352796/Unnoticed-Struggle.pdf
REPORTING A HATE CRIME / BIAS INCIDENT
- Report the incident to the local police department.
- Contact the FBI: https://www.fbi.gov/contact-us/field-offices
- Find your state attorneys general: https://www.usa.gov/state-attorney-general
- Receive pro bono legal services from:
- AAPI-based organizations. Click on the “Pro Bono Legal and Community Assistance” tab. https://www.napaba.org/page/HateCrimeResources.
- Reach out to the Thai Community Development Center based in Los Angeles for legal services to Thai immigrants and low-income families, https://thaicdc.org/.
- NAPABA’s Hate Crimes Task Force, https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XH9CWNG.
- Report incidents of racism to:
- What to do if you experience a hate crime translated into over 20 AAPI languages, including Thai! A collaboration between NAPABA and the Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum. To find the translations, click on the “Combat Hate Crimes Toolkit” tab when visiting this website, https://www.napaba.org/page/HateCrimeResources.
- Reach out to your local elected officials to advocate for legislation that provides robust support and services to survivors, rapid response and tracking of hate incidents, and laws that protect employees and tenants facing discrimination.
- Policy Recommendations for Addressing Hate Violence by Asian Americans Advancing Justice, https://www.advancingjustice-alc.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/Policy-Recommendations_Addressing-Hate-Violence_AA-Table.pdf
- Use toolkits to guide messaging.
- Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus Toolkit, https://chu.house.gov/sites/chu.house.gov/files/documents/Anti-Asian_Bigotry_Dear_Colleague_Toolkit.pdf.
- Toolkits by various AAPI-based organizations that were compiled by NAPABA. Click on the “Toolkits” tab. https://www.napaba.org/page/HateCrimeResources.
- Toolkit for social media messaging to promote #StoptheHate Day of Action on March 26, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fWVwywHZ7b9otwnL6IddcyuoJFxZiveq28K2MYRY_rY/edit?ts=6057dbc7.
- Hate Crimes Bill Toolkit: download ZIP
COMPREHENSIVE RESOURCE GUIDES
- Asian Pacific Islanders Civic Action Network’s Anti-Asian Racism Resource Guide includes information on educational materials of Asian American history for all reading levels, mental health services and community organizations in Massachusetts, and a list of places to donate, https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UfetnvmNsKk_lZ-_I6ZuFJ9tLYfPjjNd3zegbPpCBP4/edit#.
- NAPABA’s resource guide: https://www.napaba.org/page/HateCrimeResources
PAST AND UPCOMING EVENTS
- TABA’s 9th Annual Installation Dinner on May 20 starting at 6:00 PST.
- Bar Unity, a collaboration of the Asian Pacific American bar associations mainly in the West Coast on May 6 at 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. PST.
- The Surge in Anti-Asian Violence: Corporate Social Responsibility and Action, presented by AABANY on April 9 at 11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. PST with the following panelists:
- Sara Yang Bosco, Senior Vice President, Secretary and General Counsel, Emerson
- Sandra Leung, Executive Vice President & General Counsel, Bristol-Myers Squibb
- Allen Lo, Vice President and Deputy General Counsel Products, IP, and Legal Operations, Facebook
- Caroline Tsai, Chief Legal Officer & Corporate Secretary, Western Union
- Michael C. Wu (Moderator), Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary, Madewell
- APAs vs. Hate Series by Cal-APABA
- Know Your Rights on April 21 at 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. PST, presented by AABA
- Branden Butler (DFEH)
- Michael Chang (education)
- Toni Jaramilla (employment)
- Adrian Roxas (criminal victims’ rights)
- Bill Tamayo (EEOC)
- Back to School: Preparing our Children and Educators, presented by SCCLA on 4/15 @ 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. PST. This panel will include a lawyer, educator, and child developmental specialist to discuss how and what parents should be addressing with their children and schools to prepare for and address anti-Asian hate incidents. https://youtu.be/JYqNyiSRCqY or
- Carol Jung, Director of Education Advocacy, Learning Rights Law Center
- Dr. Suzan Song, Division of Child/Adolescent & Family Psychiatry at George Washington University
- Linsey Gotanda, Deputy Superintendent, Palos Verdes Peninsula USD
- Vicki Chou (moderator)
- The Model Minority Myth, presented by CKA on 4/13 @ 4:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. PST. This learned discussion will focus on the history, law, and social circumstances that gave rise to the prevailing myth about Asian Americans that has had toxic consequences for race relations in the U.S.
- Prof. Sumi Cho (DePaul University)
- Taeku Lee (UC Berkeley)
- Prof. Jerry Kang (UCLA) (moderator)
- Mari Bandoma, Moderator
- APA Women--Hate, Gender & Race on 4/8 @ 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. PST: https://youtu.be/2loqGdAcdds or https://www.facebook.com/309375759578124/posts/1146428669206158/.
- Christine Ahn - Founder & Executive Director, Women Cross DMZ
- Sung Yeon Choimorrow, Executive Director, NAPAWF
- Nancy Wang Yuen, Sociologist and Pop Culture Expert
- Zathrina Perez, Cal-APABA President
- Where Do APAs Fit in Today's Diversity Conversation? on April 1, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. PST: https://youtu.be/0yTA-AEVL8Y or https://www.facebook.com/309375759578124/posts/1142095612972797/
- A Call to Action on March 25, 2021: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8tCjjgxC74
- Greg deGiere, Drafter of California's Hate Crimes Law
- Jessica Owyoung, Compassion in Oakland
- Annie Esposito, Alameda County Deputy District Attorney
- Confronting the Racial Issues on March 18, 2021: https://youtu.be/9cdK19T3mkk
- Angela Oh, Moderator
- Professor Rika Houston, CSULA; Faculty Director of Center for Civic Engagement
- Chris Kwok, Mediator
- Duc Ta, Chef and Host of Cooking with Duc, and Former State Prison Lifer
- Marvin Wadlow, Co-host of Tablesetters
- Identifying & Understanding the Problem on March 11, 2021: https://youtu.be/teajtO5CvOg
- Manju Kulkarni, Stop AAPI Hate
- Aarti Kohli, Asian Americans Advancing Justice – Asian Law Caucus
- Leonard Trinh, San Diego County Deputy District Attorney
- Lisa Mak, Minami Tamaki LLP, Moderator
- Know Your Rights on April 21 at 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. PST, presented by AABA
CONTACT THE THAI CONSULATE
TABA is not affiliated with the Thai Consulate but routinely is asked how to reach out to them.